In Chinese Medicine, Autumn is the time of the Metal Element & it corresponds to the Lungs & Large Intestine. Autumn is nature’s signal to draw our energy inwards, refuel & prepare for winter, as we notice the trees draw their essence deep within, causing the leaves to fall. We can learn from these cycles of nature – it’s time to rejuvenate our inner energy & our immunity to create resistance to the various pathogens that we may come into contact with. It is also a good time to focus on letting go of old emotions, remembering that Lungs & Large Intestine discard that which is no longer needed by the body through breathing & elimination.
Let’s talk about ways to:
1. Prevent colds & flu’s by building strong immunity
2. Stop a cold or flu in it’s early stages through dietary changes as well as taking supplements/herbs
We all know how it feels… our lives are busy, we start to feel run down & we no longer feel rejuvenated by rest or by the foods that we eat. Then the sore throat begins… What can we do?
- Drink my favourite hot drink for colds & flu’s:
2 Whole garlic cloves
1 large nob of ginger
1 lemon juiced
1 tablespoon of honey
Boil all ingredients in water & drink when cool enough. Yum!
- Remember: Food is Medicine. It is the building blocks of your body. Eat more cooked organic foods & less cold raw foods in Autumn. Make organic beef bone or chicken bone broth with vegies. Great for immunity.
Beef or chicken bones or whole chicken
2 celery stalks
3 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
parsley, salt & pepper
Boil all ingredients for 1-2 hours to make nutrient rich broth. Remove bones. Add beans & any other vegies that you like & simmer till cooked & ready to eat. Yum!
- Rest Rest Rest – don’t underestimate this point. Remember: draw your vital essence within.
- Use herbal liniment for any body aches & pains. I like ‘Herbal Cream’ by Pinnacle.
- Take a herbal cold/flu supplement at the first sign of symptoms. I like Flu)ex by Panaxea International.
Sources: ‘Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition’